Skyrim. Is there any place where I have spent more time slaying dragons, raiding towns and trying to find a woman named Lydia?
It’s a huge game with a lot going for it even a decade after its release. in this blog I’ll be showing you how to make one of the most well-known deserts in the land; a sweetroll. You will no longer have to cry because someone stole yours, because now you can make your very own.
This is what they look like in-game;
Appetising eh? Scroll to the bottom to see how ours turned out. If you don’t want the spoiler then just keep on reading.
- 250g butter
- 250g self-raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 50g raspberry jam
- 2tbsp Chambord liqueur (optional)
For the Glace icing:
- 125g icing sugar
- 15ml milk of your choice
- Dash of vanilla extract (optional)
- STEP 1 – Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan. Grease your bundt tin until fully coated and set aside. Combine the butter and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat until creamed.
*Note*If you’re using the Chambord; add this to the mixture now. If you don’t want to use the liqueur then you can add the equivalent amount of extract of your choice in it’s place.
- STEP 2 – Crack the eggs into a smaller mixing bowl or jug and beat until combined. Beat a third of the eggs into the cake mixture until combined. Then add around a third of the flour; folding it into the mixture rather than beating. This will retain the cake’s ability to rise so mix carefully! Continue alternating between eggs and flour until all have been combined.
- STEP 3 – Place have of the mixture into the bundt tin and smooth it out. Once this is done, place the jam into a bowl and mix it until there are no big lumps of jam remaining. You don’t have to do this, but it does make it easier for the next step.
- STEP 4 – Dot the jam around the bundt tin, almost so that it forms a ring on top of the smoothed mixture. Once all the jam has been added you can go ahead and pour the remaining mixture into the bundt tin on top.
- STEP 5 – Smooth the mixture out again and then place in the middle of the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted close to the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool before turning out of the tin.
- STEP 6 – While waiting, enjoy a brew.
- STEP 7 – Once the cake is freed from the tin you can ice it; combine the icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract (if using) into a bowl and mix until completely smooth. If your mixture isn’t runny then add a splash more milk; if it’s too runny and very thin then add some more icing sugar.
- STEP 8 – Once you’ve made your icing then go ahead and spoon it over the top of your cake, adding “drips” in various places to recreate the Skyrim Sweet Roll look. Once you’ve done this leave the icing to set so that it doesn’t go everywhere when you cut into it.
- STEP 9 – Enjoy!
So that’s how to make your very own sweetroll. Ours didn’t last very long as it tasted amazing. I hope yours turn out just as good. If you do have a go, let me know how it turned out and maybe send me some pictures.
We did this when my brain wasn’t letting me write and the process of baking did calm my chattering mind. Not enough to allow me to write, but it did help. I hope it helps you too.