Cover Design

I decided to take the day off from editing The Next Stage today and do some work on the cover.

When I did the Creatures cover;

I tried to do a few different things, but for one reason or another, I just couldn’t get it to work. I’d already worked on the text that is on there now and just wanted something to go with it that would mean something to the plot, but alas, I didn’t find anything that worked so I just went with the minimalistic look.

For The Next Stage, though, I wanted to actually put some effort into the cover and even – despite my poor skills – draw something for it myself.

I originally wanted to do something similar to the below;

Yes, this is my face.

And then, because I dragged my feet so much on this book, this happened;

Yup, Detroit. It had precisely the same cover I was going for and even had some of the same kind of plots points as I had written, to make matters worse it was a fantastic game too.

So I went back to The Next Stage and made some changes and began to rethink my cover ideas.

I’m at the stage now where I think I’m almost done with the editing so it seemed like a good point to work some more on the cover.

I’d already drawn the design that I wanted to use;

I spent today working on colours, arrangement and fonts. It took me a while to get it to somewhere I was happy with it so I’m hoping it looks good on the final product.

I’m not going to reveal the cover just yet as I still have some work to do on it but I thought I’d show you a few of the designs that didn’t make the cut.

And this was a particular favourite but it didn’t quite work as just text…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s